I'm climbing a spiral staircase and not hoping to turn again...

Friday, January 28, 2005

Theory of universal insanity

I have several theories about life, about people and their characters. My favorite theory is that every person is insane-- to some degree or another. There are a lot of facts and events supporting this theory, time and time again. And I get a bit scared sometimes…because I can see my madness more clearly than I can see anyone else’s. I don’t know if anyone else sees this; I used to think I’m good at hiding my feelings, but then I found out the hard way that I really wasn’t. Maybe my madness shows in my eyes, and people are too confused or too scared to point it out to me. It doesn’t take a lot of insight or observation nowadays to note the streaks of madness in people. I mean, just look around you. Isn’t it a bit insane to, for example, sit and watch a movie. Just take it literally; you’re sitting for a continuous 3 or 4 hours doing positively nothing but looking at people whom you probably will never meet, following a story which doesn’t concern you and weakening your eyesight and getting fatter and lazier into the bargain. And they wonder why I’m not a movie buff! What about songs? What are they? I’m not talking about only pop and rock songs, which are the most popular and the ones which make the least sense, but also about classical music. What do all these words signify? I don’t think anyone can ever take any lyrics seriously, no matter how meaningful they might be. Songs are nothing but a handful of words chanted repeatedly, thrown in with some twanging of a guitar, some banging of the drums; anything that sounds good with them. And we all listen to songs not only once, but thousands of times…what is that if it’s not madness? And here you have a prime example of my own madness…I love music and will always watch a movie if I get the chance (it’s just because I don’t usually get the chance is why I’m not a movie buff). I’m not just contradicting myself, I just don’t know what I like and do not like…heck, I don’t even know what I want from life! I recently finished this book, which an unknown writer has written. It’s been written only a few years back but goes back a few decades or so. It’s about this man who has lived many, many times and can’t die, even though he tries to kill himself over and over again. He’s been the woman who was Mona Lisa, the mother of Mary, a maker of stained glass, a shepherd and many, many more people. But that’s beside the point. The doctor who’s in charge of him talks to the man’s friend and oddly enough, say exactly the same words that have run in my mind so many times; ‘Is everyone mad, do you think?’ Sybil asked, recovering her poise. ‘One way or another, do you think it could be so?’ Jung gave one of his shrugs and said: ‘there are degrees of madness, of course. I have found some traces of it in my self, I do confess.’ He waved his hand. ‘But madness is a crafty beast and cannot be caught with theories. Over time, I have learned not only to be distrusting of theories, but to actively oppose them…My own madness is quantified by parentheses—just as all madness is. I have learned not only to deal with it, but to live with it. And most importantly…to function in its presence. It is mine—my own and only mine. Here I must say that this character was not made up, nor were his words…while this was not a non-fiction book, it contained many characters that truly existed and this Jung, a psychologist in a mental hospital, is one of them. And what about those phobias that some people have? Afraid of the dark? Why, it can’t touch you, it doesn’t even have a substantial shape. Or is fear of the dark a fear of the unknown that might pounce on you? Why do people have this theory that the unknown will attack you only in the dark? Why doesn’t it attack when you’re sleeping, or when your eyes are shut? Or why not in broad daylight, for that matter? If it’s the unknown, who can stop it? And all those debates on cloning babies and stuff…why is that? Why can’t they get it into thewir heads that there’s too much population already. The western worlds is all about family planning and are outraged at the idea of people having ten or more kids…doesn’t this cloning also contribute to overpopulation? And what about all those illegitimate kids born every day to teens who are just too stupid to know better than to hop into bed without even taking precautions, let alone the fact that it’s fornication is forbidden in most religions and countries? Why the hell do these westerns claim that they need a kid of their own and so look to cloning for a solution when they’re going to throw him or her out as soon as they turn 18 or so? There are several issues on which I can prove again and again that there’s a serious madness in everyone, but my fingers won’t allow me too…strangely, they never get this tired when I’m chatting. Yes, it’s all human nature, but human nature is itself the essence of insanity…and that’s the quintessence of my lovely theory. You don’t need to take my word for it, you really shouldn't anyway…as I’m more mad than any lunatic you would find, I really can’t be trusted when it comes to my hypotheses.

1 Comments:

Blogger Un-deciphered said...

agreed. totally. Either everything is crazy or everything is normal. Both statements implying that insanity is a norm.

Just like, either everything is following a pattern, or nothing is following a pattern.

My nick on MSN, Paradoxicant, is totally justified.

2/04/2005 09:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home