I'm climbing a spiral staircase and not hoping to turn again...

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

ME????

I was the most wretched person last night-in a pitiful attempt to alleviate my sagging spirits(compliments of the back-to-school syndrome) I went thorough a whole block of chocolate in bed right before going to sleep. But now…I wonder if I’m going to get any sleep at all!! This is not happening to me….this CAN’T be happening to me… I mean, I’m just a nobody, I was never considered ‘cool’ by ANYONE, I’m just this lost little kid w/ a reputation for being a bookworm even though I’m more into writing than redaing, I was duped by many, many friends which culminated in my being this insecure, shy personality…. And I was never exceptional in studies…. I flunked in one of my literature exams these midterms… So how come I world topped in English literature in o levels???? What can I say now? How can I answer all these questions that people are bombarding me eith now regarding my study strategy? How can I thank Allah for His blessing that surpasses all other? How can I ever get over this? How am I keeping from fainting? How am I supposed to give ALL these ppl a TREAT?????? What a day….i guess there’s nothing to do but write down the minutest details… Well, by sheer coincidence, we were supposed to have an extra English literature class (Alevels ki) today until 2 pm…but our oh-so-efficient teacher was showing no signs of stooping to even consider coming on time. After sitting around, I finally went w/ my friend, sarosh, to ask the A levels coordinator whether she was gonna come or had a nervous breakdown over her children…I might also add I was not in a very good mood…but that’s not important. So she was talking on the phone and seemed in a terrific mood (which only served to get me even more irritated, as I can’t stand that woman). After saying a long and loug goodbye she put the receiver down, grinned at me and rubbed her hands together, making me think that I must have done something really terrible, cuz she’s never this happy except when it’s report time. Well Aamna, have you heard the good news?’ I replied ‘nahin ji’ (throughout this dialogue, she was talking in pure English and I resolutely stuck to Urdu. After all, what good is a mother tongue if you can’t fall back on it in times like this?) And then…the world blew up. ‘You are world top in o levels English literature.’ AND just check out what I said: ‘KIYAAAAA??????’ And there was nothing g else! That was it! She shoed me this paper on which all the names of o levels candidates who’d received the best marks in a certain subject in the world…. and I was too confused to look at it. I turned to Sarosh and asked her quickly what I was supposed to do. After having gathered enough wits about me to looks at the paper, I couldn’t find my name in it. I was just abt to yell at her for deceiving me like this when I saw my name, the only one circled in bright red….i think I need another eye checkup. Wellllll…what happened after that was…. heaven? No, it was more like the most unreal dream I’d ever dreamt. I hugged Sarosh, both of us in utter shock…and then I somehow floated out of the office completely ignoring the o levels coordinator. In the corridor, two of my friends were waiting for me, giving me the weirdest looks I’ve ever seen. Later one of them told me that she thought that the reason I was looking so happy and hugging Sarosh was that the teacher wasn’t planning to come that day. When I got to them, I said only two words ‘World top’…I didn’t think I could manage any more just then. After all those hugs and congratulations and disbelieving looks…well, what now? Ah yes, the coordinator also said that I’ll have to attend an awards ceremony somewhere…. that’s the only thing I’m NOT looking forward to…I hate ceremonies and I’ll be sure to make a complete fool of myself…like falling down the stairs or something. But what the hell!!!! THANK YOU ALLAH!!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Maha said...

Congratulations!!I am honestly REALLY happy for you!! When I saw u hug Sarosh, I was like she can't be this happy if Ms. IJ isn't coming!!And then came the two words-
WORLD TOP!!!!
I was unsure of what to do, so I thought it would be best to hug you-sorry if that made u feel uncomfy in any way:)!!!
Congratssss!!You did it girl...and we're all proud of you!!!!
*I know I am, even though I don't know you well and haven't known you for too long!*
good going chica!
and for the 'n'th time..cOnGrAtSs!:)
'God works in mysterious ways!'...
haina?!:)

1/12/2005 05:53:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont know you but congrats ayway

1/14/2005 01:00:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally i found a way to comment...
you know me and i know you (the person woven by his/ her poetry)....
with the starters.i would like to congratulate you...
you are very talented..may you do good in your life...
and after that! for you tentatives is the word, I can easily see a bud blooming into a flower.
never under-estimate your self...you have the spark!
that's enough for today...
let me spare some words for the next article!

1/16/2005 12:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Niqabi said...

I wanted to jazakallah you laods for the delicious(!) pastry you brought for us at school today. To get something as tasty as a brownie, simply outav the blue is surely a big treat.

That was very sweet of you.
I love you.
Yes I do.
Does it matter if its coz of the pastry?
No?
That's good.
I'm happy.
Thank you again.

Salaams.

1/17/2005 04:33:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home