I'm climbing a spiral staircase and not hoping to turn again...

Friday, December 24, 2004

Rambling........

Relatives, relatives, relatives. Upstairs and downstairs and in the lady’s chamber. Ever since my exams finished the days are spent exclusively with these people who are supposedly my own blood. Even those like my khaloos and my phuppas who have only married my aunts are related by blood, as they’re all second cousins of my parents or something. Today was a prime example of their utter disregard for one’s privacy. I was woken up by my sis screaming that two of my first cousins, who were married, were on the way, and I had to shower, dress, make my bed(on account of the maid conveniently having taken a day off), somehow dry my hair all before they got here. No breakfast, nothing but half a slice of a month-old orange that my mom was peeling and we’re off! Where? I think it was to eat lunch. My world has turned upside-down since the exams finished. Waking up as late as 1pm was EXTREMELY early for me. Imagine starting your day like this, and then spending about an hour and a half crammed into a car with two sisters and five cousins, bickering about what to where to go, with the only male refusing every place because it was too expensive, or because it was too cheap(don’t throw these weird looks at me, I disowned him a long time ago), or because he’s eaten there abt a thousand times. At last it was Nando’s, where we ate the most hurried meal ever(the bill was ordered and paid before we started eating) This was because my ex-cousin and his wife had chosen to leave their month-old daughter at home with her grandmother, and she was gonna wake up any second and start wailing for her mommy. All this haste and cacophony was way too much for a peaceful person like me. I mean, even my name means ‘the peaceful one’. So I was in a daze when we finally reached my cousins’ house (would anyone have cared to think that I would rather go home?)….and that baby was calmly drinking milk out of her bottle and looking at us with those huge black eyes. She hadn’t cried one bit. Story of my life…and they ask me why I remain so tense! And now I’m waiting for the same group to come over for dinner including a few more aunts and uncles with their respective offspring. Have you ever heard of PEACE,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home