I'm climbing a spiral staircase and not hoping to turn again...

Friday, January 13, 2006

I really should update… the holidays are almost over, and who knows when I’ll have time to update again? I can just hear all the teachers getting geared up…they won’t leave us alone, mark my words. I can remember the second half of the final O’ level year…nightmares of unprepared exams every night, girls crying silently in the library, the tension of the farewell plans and my first fainting fit in my whole lifetime. It was terrible, terrible…and I know the final months of A’ levels are going to be double the torture. Anyways, the third day of Eid is drawing to a close now. I always turn a bit of a vegetarian around this time of the year…the first day of Eid I didn’t eat nething but a few spoonfuls of mutter pullao…I was never very partial to meat, and I grow sick just looking at all the sacrificial meat in the kitchen. Ugghh… But the holidays have been really good so far…I haven’t been very active, just read a whole lot, lazed around, and enjoyed my leisure time. Also, I’ve stopped thinking about poetry as some thing that would come on inspiration…I’ve set a target for myself to finish at least 5 poems a day…I just pull out all the unfinished stuff and work on it until ever poem has a satisfactory ending. Poetry just isn’t a romantic hobby anymore, it’s more like something I have to do, and do well. I’m almost like a poetry-making machine…that is, when I’m not reading my eyes out. Yeah, I’m reading, reading like crazy…all those books that have been recommended to me over the years, those that I’ve always wanted to read, have somehow become an obsession for me. In the last two weeks I’ve read The Catcher in the Rye, The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka),Umrao Jan Ada (the English translation), The Thirteen Problems (Agatha Christie), Jane Eyre (again), and now I’m on Wuthering Heights and my sister’s Psychology textbook simultaneously….I’m just trying to see how much I can read these holidays…just how far can this reading speed go… Before I go, however, I must say that reading Jane Eyre again was quite an experience, after having read and studied The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. For those who know the story of Jane Eyre, The Wide Sargasso Sea is the story of Mr. Rochester’s lunatic wife in the attic…it’s an awesome book, even if it does give me nightmares…and Jane Eyre is just not the same once you’ve read the modern novel. It gave me the creeps, I tell you, to draw all those parallels between the two books when I was reading that classic…I felt as if it were Charlotte Bronte who was copying Rhys’ characters, and not the other way round. It’s really cool; I never thought I would enjoy reading a book again that much…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Jane Eyre!!Totally forgot we had to read it toooo! I KNEW there was something that I had to do n wasnt doin! Why dint you remind me!!! Its all ur fault!!!

Y do ur end-of-the-holiday posts never make me feel good abt my holidays? They seem to be SUCH a waste!

Will this term really be tht busy? Dun scare me before it starts girl! and ur fainting fit...?hmm...gotta listen to tht story in details :P

Pray for my SAT2, I dunno nuffin abt it n its in less than 2 weeks!!! :'(

1/14/2006 11:14:00 PM

 
Blogger One in the crowd said...

Catcher in the Rye...it's one of my favourites...Jane Eyre is also good...but ok...I somehow like books that go easy on you...anyway,, you'll do well...whenever u r worked up, just remember that u r definitely better than the flunker, who religiously comments on ur blog...

1/15/2006 03:35:00 AM

 
Blogger ATY said...

no chijji u idiot U din't hav to read it again, ms barque said those who hav NOT read it AFTER we started wide sargasso sea had to read it ...ok? samajh aayi bacchi? i distinctly remember u sitting in one corner of the common room and reading jane eyre soon after we started it...so u dun havta worry...but believe me, after studying WSS in detail...jane eyre is suddenly a bit scary in its parallels, and man, i LOVE that

@blahy: books that go easy on u are really gud...in my case, a book is something to enjoy no matter how hard it is...if u liked jane eyre, u shud read WSS too...c if can get it newhere...ok, y am i writing this here? u're online, for heaven's sake!

1/16/2006 06:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Gia said...

Sad...so holidays over n studies are about to grab u...
have fun with whatever ur doing...and i hope ur reading speed keeps on accelerating!
Luv u

1/17/2006 06:25:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home