I'm climbing a spiral staircase and not hoping to turn again...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A day of studying...

No, I have not spent the whole day studying…I rarely do that in the holidays, even though I should. My notes are a mess…but I’m still not going to neatofy them unless I practically have to. When I’m studying for the mocks, that is. Neways, I just want to illustrate what kinds of stuff I have to study, and what weird things can happen in the wee hours of the morning when you’re studying with full speed. For example, take The Comedy of Errors. To begin with, there was not one bookshop in the whole of Pakistan that carried it. I mean, a famous Shakespeare play, and not ONE shop has it? How silly is that? Every bookshop has at least the A’ and O’ levels course books, but not The Comedy of Errors. Oh no no no…Anyways, we imported it, and it is this wonderful Arden edition I have now…so wonderful, it has notes and everything. And very interesting notes they are too…I was reading through them, and there was this long footnote at the bottom of the page…apparently, a psychologist has interpreted The Comedy of Errors as ‘Shakespeare’s expression of an unconscious desire for incest with his mother’. Lovely reading at 2 a.m in the morning…rite? No wonder it wasn’t available in Pakistan…. Well, there’s another theory I know abt Shakespeare now, that I would have been much better off not knowing about. Why is everybody intent on spoiling Shakespeare for me? One of my literature teachers even told us in 9th grade that Shakespeare was rumored to be a woman and, furthermore, a lesbian! Thank you SO much…that was exactly what I needed to get inspired… Neways, ten minutes later, I had gone to get a drink of water, and the water in the cooler stared getting ripples all of a sudden…it’s a huge, transparent bottle, so you could see all the water splashing around inside. Anyways, it wasn’t a demon or anything…just another earthquake. I instinctively looked up at the ceiling fan….yep, moving all right. Went into the drawing room, looked at the chandelier…yep, merrily swinging away. I suppose I was the only waking person at the time in Lahore who felt it. And like the over-efficient person I am, I stood in the lounge, looking up at the fan and the hanging lights all moving, listening to the jars clattering on the table...thinking ‘shall I wake everyone up? I’ll just wait a few minutes…when things begin to fall of the shelves, I’ll start calling them…’ I’m of no earthly use when there’s danger…God knows what mite have happened if it had been a really serious earthquake. But it stopped after five minutes…yeah, I was even timing it. The day after next I read in the newspapers that it was a Richter 6.5 earthquake in Muzaffarabad, but as everything was already so broken up, there was no damage done. So that was one of the days of my studying…in fact, that’s all I remember…it’s just as well I suppose…

5 Comments:

Blogger One in the crowd said...

lolzz...u've got to be the cutest creature on earth...

as for shakespeare, i remember wondering how he reigned in the world of literature four centuries after his time...i.e. when i was in first year BA...all of us swore by him, not as much for his merits but coz he carried the maximum marks in the exams...

1/04/2006 07:30:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shakespeare? really? a woman? hahah that wouldn't surprise me though, the whole theory abt his negative capability. He might as well be an urn or something. I never read through the footnotes in the Arden version, they're so cwappy. Comedy of Errors is funny but not literature typa funny, its more like something Niqabi and I once came up with in 9th grade and recorded on a cassette. Darn,she lost that cassette, it was ridiculously hilarious! :D

1/05/2006 01:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Gia said...

i just cannot stop laughing....
amna..u surely are cute :D!

as far as shakespeare is concerned, i never went through the pains of thinking abt what he is....i always read the books and forget what i read! i know its a soory state of affair...per what can u expect from a person who cannot read anything but the nervous,circulatory,metabolic n venous systems? :p :p
we will soon be dissecting humans...WOW!!! cant wait for that day! ok....i better stop...or else u'll start vomiting...
tc girl...
miss u so much!

1/05/2006 05:35:00 AM

 
Blogger ATY said...

@blahy: yeah shakespeare does get u a lotta marks...more than those idiotic absurdist plays and nightmare-inducing novels..but i like the tragedies neways...the comedies r just too boring and predicatble

@chij: yar i din't have any other notes abt that darned play...the Arden edition was my only hope...

@Waj: each to his own i always say...but shakespeare rocks even if she DOES turn out to be a lesbian...lol

1/09/2006 06:47:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm till where i remember the last shakespeare book i read ws romeo n juliet n i ws in the 8th grade then! anyways aamna i loved ur commentry if it ws tht. keep it up gurl!

1/09/2006 06:49:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home